Thursday, May 21, 2015

AIP --> Aprender la Idioma de esPaña

      As a requirement of my program, I needed to enroll in some Spanish classes at a local institute before I start working.  When I agreed to this condition I was a bit hesitant, since I have been taking spanish classes for many years, my home University will not be giving me credits for it, and I thought I would be able to assimilate by conversing with my host family.  Nevertheless, the language intensive program that AIP Language Institute offers has immensely deepened and refined my Spanish speaking skills as well as helped introduce me to other students.

      Most importantly, through the few days of classes at AIP, I am already building confidence and fluency with Spanish.  This confidence carries over into my interaction with locals as I am not as hesitant to attempt a conversation with them, usually a vendor or a waiter.  Being in class everyday has forced my to use Spanish.  Depending on the day I am in class from 9a.m. until 1p.m. or until 2:45 p.m.  It is composed of various classes with short breaks in between. I was placed in a small class of 8 students divided by our level of skill.  In my class there are students from the U.S. to Switzerland to Germany to China, with ages ranging 18 to 65.  Nevertheless, we are all bound my our struggles with proficiency, yet our desire to learn more.
     Everyday we start with a lesson of culture.  This may comprise of reading, brief writings, and talking with our work partner or the teacher.  
     Then we move onto to focusing on grammar. 
     Followed by an hour of class that focuses on conversation.  We may read aloud and then discuss, or watch a brief spanish video, either way there is much discussion and correction of our sentence structure/verb conjunction when needed.  
     On some days I have private lessons with four others.  We continue to build our vocabulary with comprehension of reading and speaking.  
     In all of my classes, when a word or phrase pops up that someone doesn't understand it is written on the board.  This has helped remind me of vocabulary I have previously learned, as well as expose me to new ones that are frequently used in Spain.  Same goes for when someone uses the wrong word or uses it incorrectly.  
     In all, since I have been going to class, I have noticed a better proficiency in my skills and that I am able to use the language better.  I would have encountered the language as well, however I would not have received the proper correction in a welcoming environment.

    From discussion with the other students, they have also been satisfied with the style and results of the institute.   In fact, there are two other students from America that came to Valencia to receive special training in the language as well. They started at another school on the outskirts of the city but after being dissatisfaction they found AIP online and quickly switched over.  They are very content with AIP's style. This was nice to hear as my only reference to AIP classes was training from back home.  It is comforting to know that I am getting a bang for my buck.  I also realize I was lucky that World Endeavors was able to organize a connection with the institute as well, which pushed me to take a class and saved me the hassle of fining a suitable class.

   Another aspect of the school that I have come to appreciate is the ability to meet new friends to explore the city with and continue to practice Spanish.  Coming to Spain alone, I wasn't sure if I would be hard to meet students like myself looking to explore the city.  From the very first day I was able to make new friends and have them teach my the tricks to the city that they have learned so far; such as the best cafes around the school to grab a snack, how to work the metro system and what to do in our free time.  

    Additionally, since the institute hosts students from many different countries, I have been able to meet students I would not have otherwise.  Before I came to Spain I was messaging a girl from Missouri that was also enrolled in the same program through World Endeavors.  But AIP's friendly environment has helped me to broaden my horizons.  Even if we don't spend time together after school, AIP includes breaks between classes and provides tables and chairs in the lobby that encourages the students to converse.  Everyone is very friendly and willing to share their experiences/opinions.  It has been very educational as on our breaks I have been able to learn about different areas and hear fascinating stories of others lives.  It has opened me to different lifestyles.  For example, Elizabet and Andréas, from Switzerland, are both somewhere in their 60s or 70s, yet they are still learning new languages.  Even though they have no need for these new skills, their curious minds want to learn as much as they can.  Their are other students like Franzs or Annica, who are in their 20s, that come to learn Spanish for their job.

   The language also works to organize events, open to all students, that will help us assimilate to the area and its culture.  This past week they had a free salsa class (which I sadly missed because I took the wrong train on the subway).  For this weekend they have a game of soccer and an outing to a vine tasting.

     In all, I am glad that I started my Spain with Spanish classes.  It has helped me to refine my skills as well as smoothly transition into constantly using the language.  Also, it has provided a sound platform to interact with others from many different parts of the world and to assimilate myself into the culture of Valencia.


Germans, Britons, Russians, Spaniards, Swedes, Swiss, and Americans all gather as we go on a class excursion to Requena to try their well known platter of Embutidos and local wine.
Samantha and I with our teacher on the last day of classes

The lobby of AIP - where students gather during break to continue practicing spanish and learning about eachothers' various homes and back stories.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear more about how much your Spanish improves over the summer. It's such a unique experience to be immersed into a country and it's language and culture. You're going to return and be a totally different Spanish speaker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you're enjoying meeting people through the language program, and reaping the benefits of Spanish classes. You're so right -- such a great way to meet new people in a new city. And it's great that they're from all over the world, too. I can't wait to hear about your internship once it starts!

    ReplyDelete